1/3 cup of melted unsalted (sweet)butter, browned- Instructions below.
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt if using unsalted butter
1 cup pumpkin
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBS flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 TBS butter softened
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Grease a 12 hole muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place the butter into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Have a small heat proof bowl waiting next to the stove.
- Allow the butter to melt and boil until it just starts to turn a light golden brown, stirring or swirling as it cooks to prevent burning. As soon as the color begins to change to the light golden color, immediately remove from heat and continue stirring for 30 seconds or so. The butter will continue browning from the heat in the pan. It should be a medium golden brown.
- If it starts getting too dark, QUICKLY pour into the standby bowl to stop the cooking process. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, stir together the topping ingredients until the butter is incorporated and it is a bit crumbly.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves together into a medium size bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Add these wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until barely combined.
- Add the browned butter and stir until combined. Don't over stir.
- Divide the batter up into 12 muffins.
- Sprinkle a spoonful of the topping over the muffin batter
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove the muffins from the pan to continue cooling.