Sally's Sweet Potato Casserole
4 large sweet potatoes
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 TBS. butter
1 to 2 cups cup fresh cranberries- I like to use 2 cups but it is up to you.
2/3 cup orange juice
- Wash the sweet potatoes and Slice them into ½- ¾ inch slices (with the skin on)
- Boil the potatoes until tender- 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain them and let cool slightly and remove skins. The skins will just peel right off of the slices
- Layer half the potatoes into the bottom of a greased casserole dish. You can use a 2 quart casserole dish or a 9x13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar and the cranberries over the potato layer. Dot with half the butter.
- Form a second layer with the remaining potatoes, sugar and butter
- Pour the orange juice over the top. Place in fridge for up to 2 days or cook immediately.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven or Microwave on 80% for 5 to 10 minutes or until hot.
- Top with pecan topping and bake for 10 more minutes. If microwaving you can put topping on then microwave for 2 more minutes or I do pop it into the oven for 10 minutes to crisp up the topping.
Mix together the following:
½ cup chopped pecans
2 TBS melted butter
2 TBS brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon