Sunday, May 24, 2009

Grateful Dyed

This week my daughter came home from school with an amazing shirt that she tie dyed in Chemistry class. We tie dye a lot at our house but this shirt was so vivid and saturated with color that won't wash out. That's because they used real chemical dyes instead of the Walmart special that we use here at home. After seeing how amazing it looked I decided that we had to start using these dyes. I spoke with the chem teacher and she told me that the company was here in town and that it's name was Greatful Dyes. How would you picture a company with that name? I guarantee that it was far far worse than you could picture.

I placed the order online and then went to pick it up. First of all, it took forever to find, that's because it's in a storage area of a car repair and window tinting garage in a not so nice area of town. There were old junker cars everywhere and lots of greas covered repair guys standing around smoking and staring.

I parked and walked into the store and the place looks like something out of an episode of Clean House. There were stacks of boxes and piles of stuff that were 6 feet tall. Thankfully there was one narrow 2 foot wide aisle through the mess. I still can't figure out where the office was, but it was in the mess somewhere. The whole place smelled like pot, too.

The owner was of course wearing a tie dyed shirt and had long wavy gray hair. He had to have been a hippie in the 1960's. Needless to say, I got my dyes and like the name of the store, was grateful to get out of there. It wasn't until I was on my way home that I remembered that the chemistry teacher told me not to go alone. Wish I had remembered that earlier.

No comments: