Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 4 of the Photo of the Day

This is not an artsy photo or even a well composed picture but the situation is cool enough to make up for it. yesterday afternoon I was home and it got really windy. I looked outside and it just looked like tornado weather. I went back in but then heard a noise that sounded like a train. What would you do if you heard a train like sound in a storm? Yep, I ran right outside to see if I could see anything. I couldn't see a thing. 5 minutes later my neighbor called to see if we were OK. Turns out his yard was hit by a gustnado and this is the 45 foot tree that was literally twisted off it's roots.

Gustnado (or Gustinado) - [Slang], gust front tornado. A small tornado, usually weak and short-lived, that occurs along the gust front of a thunderstorm. Often it is visible only as a debris cloud or dust whirl near the ground. Gustnadoes are not associated with storm-scale rotation (i.e. mesocyclones); they are more likely to be associated visually with a shelf cloud than with a wall cloud. (from 9 New Weather Center)





No comments: