Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday's Household Assignment- Fridge

Happy Labor Day!! In honor of this day celebrating workers, this week's household assignment is to clean out your refrigerator. Not just a check to see if there are any week old leftovers but, a take every item out, clean the shelves and check all expiration dates kind of clean out.






Before and After

I really wish I could say that I staged how bad the before was but this is really what it looked like! Humbling!!





1. Begin by removing every single item out of the fridge, including the items in the door.
  • TIP: if you don't have a counter close by, set up a card table to put everything on.
2. Take a large bowl of hot tap water and add 1/4 cup of baking soda. Use this solution to wash down the shelves, doors and insides of drawers.

3. Line the produce drawers with old clean dish towels. This keeps any juices contained and catches loose leaves or items from sticking to the drawer bottom.



4. Line the door containers with paper towels folded in half. These catch drips and leaks from condiments and dressings.





5. Wipe down all items and check their expiration dates.
Throw away any items that are out of date and return
the other items to the fridge. I keep all of my jellies together, the salad dressings together, and my condiments together in groups in the door. I keep all of my dairy items together on a shelf.
Organize items in a way that works for you.







  • TIP: When you get home from the grocery store, wash your fresh fruits and snack veggies and place in a bowl at eye level in the fridge. This way when you get hungry, these items are the first thing you'll see when you open the door. You'll be far more likely to grab these as a snack instead of items that are less healthy and higher in calories.
  • Have a great week.

3 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

Those are great tips. Thanks for sharing.

FRANNIE said...

Apparently you are also a member of the 'I have way too many condiments club'. We are charter members. Laugh.

Great tips, I especially like the towels in the drawers. I think I'm going to try that.

Tamara Dawn said...

Your before looks better than my after, haha :)