Thursday, July 8, 2010

Oreo Rice Krispies' Treats

As far as I'm concerned, if you have teenagers, you should always have the ingredients for Rice Krispies' treats in your pantry. A box of the cereal and a bag of marshmallows and you can be ready to feed a group of hungry kids in under 10 minutes. I have relied on them for years! It always seemed like a group of kids would show up late at night and be hungry for something sweet. I could grab the bag and the box and have them made before they ate us out of house and home.

A couple of weeks ago, my son, Tom, called and said he'd seen some rice treats with Oreo cookies chopped up in them and asked if I could make them. I did and they were amazing!!!!

I took the traditional rice cereal treat recipe and added chopped up oreos.

1- 10oz bag of marshmallows
3 TBS butter- I never add the butter but my friend Gina does because everything's better with butter.
6 cups of crispy rice cereal
15- oreos or chocolate sandwich cookies, chopped into 4ths or 6ths.
  • Chop or break the cookies into quarters or sixths.
  • Spray a 9x13" pan with vegetable spray. 
  • Spray a large microwaveable bowl with vegetable spray (Pam)
  • Add the bag of marshmallows (and butter if you're using it) and microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes- stir, and microwave for another 30 to 90 seconds until it is all melted and smooth when you stir it.
  • Pour the cereal and the cookie pieces into the bowl of melted marshmallows 

  • Stir until it's all combined. 
  • Press into the greased 9x13" pan and let harden for 30 minutes- we never wait!! We love eating it while it's all warm and gooey!
How many things that taste this good can you make in under 5 minutes? None!! Hope you like them as much as we do!

1 comment:

The Crazy Coxes said...

EVERYTHING IS better with butter!
I might have to try these because Brian loves rice crispy treats AND oreos. I HATE rice crispy treats and I HATE oreos.