1 cup Kosher salt or 1/2 cup table salt
1c brown sugar
3T black peppercorns
1 can of frozen apple juice concentrate
2 Bay leaves
6 cloves or 1/2 tsp of ground cloves
A one inch piece of ginger root- sliced or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 onion, sliced
1 orange, sliced
2 apples, sliced
- Place your bag open with the sides folded out on the counter.
- Find a plastic tub that is big enough for the turkey to sit in.
- Pour 4 cups of water into a saucepan and add the salt, brown sugar, cloves, ginger and pepper corns.
- Over medium high heat, stir until all the sugar and salt are dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Peel the onion and slice into 1/4 inch slices- really any size slices will do. This doesn't have to be exact!
- Slice the apples and the orange- No need to peel or core them.
- Pour 4 qts of water and 8 to 10 cups of ice into the bag.
- Add the apple juice concentrate to the salt and sugar solution and stir to melt then pour this into the big bag with the ice and water.
- Add the fruit, onions, and bay leaves to the bag.
- Remove the turkey from it's packaging and remove the neck and the giblets from the cavities.
- Rinse the turkey inside and out.
- Place the turkey into the bag and place a few slices up on top.
- Now squeeze the bag and push as much of the air out as you can. I zip the top almost closed and then squeeze. Once all the air is out, I close the zip top then gather the top up and tie it with some string or yarn to hold the bag tight so that the entire turkey is covered with the solution.
- Set the bag into the plastic tub and set into a refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.