Toasted Irish/ Steel Cut Oatmeal
1 cup of steel cut oats
3 1/4 cups water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk- any kind (almond milk is delicious)
any flavorings you like- 1/2 tsp vanilla or 1/2 tsp cinnamon or 2 TBS maple syrup or all three. They're a blank canvas- play a little. I like a 1/2 tsp of ground cardamom in mine.
- Measure out 3 1/4 cups of water and have next to stove.
- First toast those oats. Toasting gives them a richer nuttier flavor - Place the dry oats into a medium to large saucepan over med high heat. Stirring constantly, stir the oats until they are starting to turn golden brown and smell toasted. Don't stop stirring because they will go from toasted to burned in a second. If you don't feel like toasting them don't just throw them into the pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and very slowly add the water. It will bubble like crazy so be careful. Return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the pinch of salt and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the half cup of milk and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking, (still covered) for 10 more minutes.